Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Marriage via phone

Today I get a phone call from a lady doing a survey.

Lady: Hello, I'm doing a survey for so and so hospital about the quality of water at hospitals.
Me: Mmm-hmm.
Lady: The issue of hopital water quality has been an issue in the news as of late, are you aware of this?
Me: No, I haven't heard about that.
Lady: Do you go to hospitals often?
Me: No, not really.
Lady: Oh how great! You must be very healthy. We find that people who don't go to hospitals often are in their early twenties or thirties. May I ask how old you are?
Me: I'm 26.
Lady: Oh well, no wonder, of course, 26.... Are you foreign??
Me: Yes...
Lady: Wow, I thought there was something different in your voice. How surprising! Your Japanese is great! Where are you from?
Me: America.
Lady: Wow, so you must be living and working in Japan, how long have you been here?
Me: 2 years.
Lady: Wow, how exciting! You teach in Japan?
Me: Yes, I d-
Lady: Great! A teacher. So, of course you're single?
Me: Um, (WTF?) yes, I am.
Lady: How about marrying a Japanese guy?
Me: Ah...
Lady: It's a good idea, I think.
Me: Lots of people tell me that.
Lady: There is a show on TV that showcases foreign weddings on TV.
Me: Yes, I've seen it before.
Lady: It seems so romantic! Don't you think?
Me: ahahaha
Lady: My son is single!
Me: ahahahahahaha
Lady: ahahaha, no really, he's single. Do you like Saga? Can you understand Saga-ben?
Me: Yes, I understand a little.
Lady: That's wonderful, hahaha. Thank you for your time.
Me: Mmm-hmm. Goodbye. *Whew*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home