Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Job

Sport's Day competition, this is their cultural dance at the end of the competition.

I complain a lot about my job. I work in a non-air condition, but hot air-conditioned with gaijin sweat and children that give off body heat like little animals hibernating in the winter. I often have classes given to me at the last minute that I must have magical and entertaining lesson plans ready to head-up. I have to be smiley and happy every minute I'm in the presence of teacher and/or child. I must deal with the fact that children make crazy observations, sometimes rudely, about me from my hairstyle, my weight, choice of clothes, the way I teach, where I'm from, a bandaid I wear to hide my tattoo, how I apparently give off the smell of grapes, and how I sweat profusely through my clothes. I must deal with constant, 'Sarah-sensei, chotto onegai ga arun desu ga...' Sarah-sensei, I have a bit of a favor to ask you... and smile and say sure, 'I'd love to do it!' while mentally I'm hitting my head on the desk over and over...

Left, Sport's Day; Right, Kids cleaning up after an English class.

And here's the kicker, I VOLUNTEERED to do it for another year? Why? Well, as soon as I get tested, I'm gonna claim my number one reason to be I'm certifiable. Besides that it's because despite my bitching and ill will towards my job, I love teaching. I love teaching kids, adults, anyone who'll listen to me and my corn jokes in class.

My current corny joke involves the weather. 'Rain' is ame in Japanese. Ame in Japanese also has another meaning, 'candy.'
I say, have you ever heard of a Rein ko-to? (Rain coat)
Students yell, 'Yes!'
I say okay so if Rain is ame in Japanese, what is a Rein ko-to in Japanese?
Students yell, 'Ame ko-to!'
Then I say, you're right, but don't eat it!

Then the teacher laughs because they're surprised I can make a joke like that and two or so kids laugh because they actually understood what I meant. Then those few students explain to the other students why it's funny. Then some students say, 'jeez...' I love it.

I have met some really great people here. Lots of which are leaving and some of which are staying, thank goodness. I have an apartment which I love and being that I've cleaned it recently, I love it even more. I live in a beautiful part of Japan and I get to practice my Japanese all the time. I teach cute little kids which are adorable and make me laugh and smile, most days... And it's mainly these little smiley, silly kids why I'm still here. So this is a post to thank them, all the reasons why I'm glad for my life here. Thank you.


First grader just back from swim class

PS. Sarah, this is the picture I'd like to submit for the cutest kid competition we're having. If you out do this one, I shall be forced to out do you again next week.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Indeed, extremely cute. You might have me this week, I'll have to look through my collection. I also LOVE the photo of the dancing with Mt. Mifune in the background. GORGEOUS! You should submit it to the JET caldendar or something!

     
  • At 5:04 AM , Blogger Claytonian said...

    grapes? Don't get freaked out or anything, but when next we me I'm gonna smell you...

     
  • At 7:13 AM , Blogger sarah said...

    Little kids are crazy. They also think I arrive to work from America everyday. Takeo doesn't even have an airport. w

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home