Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Father's day

This is a picture of my dad and I coming home from shopping for Thanksgiving. I'm guessing I was about 4 years old. Dad's holding the cranberry sauce my family loves. I'm holding my favorite cheesy crackers that had sesame seeds on them. I love this picture because it represented my happy time with my dad. I loved to go grocery shopping with him. He taught me how to be "value conscious."

Later on, my mom would call that being 'cheap ass like your father', but even today I employ his cheap ass techniques. When I get sad or just feel strange here, I wander in grocery stores. It just makes me feel better. I'd feel better yet if I could sit under the cart and get pushed by I might get thrown out of the stores here if I did that.

It's been about 4 years since my dad passed. He wasn't perfect. In fact, he was very far from perfect. It's funny how you can go from loving someone just cause they buy you cheesy sesame crackers and then and then wishing them ill will later on. How complicated things get after you learn how to talk. Never the less he was my dad and I remember him on this day among many others. Thanks for everything dad, I hope you're well wherever you are and I love you.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A very heartfelt entry Sarah , boku wa chotto sabishi omoshimasu :( a true smile cannot be acheived by someone feeling deeply sad, and you have a lovely one :) so that makes me happy ( my god that was cheesy, i hope it had the disired effect:)

    see you crazy Mehican

     
  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger sarah said...

    Thank you Jamie. You're a cheesy sweetheart. -mehican

     
  • At 7:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    On a side note Sarah, are distinctive eyebrows a mexican trait? or was that just a Frida Khalo thing? not to insinuate that you have distinctive brows :) maybe Mexicans and the Scots share mutual genes :) god knows when i popped out into this world i already had the family brow --
    second side note, damn i miss good cheese!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home