Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Okinawa

I went to Okinawa a few days after my birthday as a present to myself. I have been waiting probably about 19 years to go to Okinawa. Why, I'm not sure, but I blame this partly:

I spent most of my time staring at the beautiful ocean, hyperventilating about going in the water and once I got over that, I was wishing I could stay calmer so my air wouldn't run out too fast and I could stay underwater longer. I've never had a closer to God experience than being underwater. I wanted to cry, I wanted to freak out (I only did a few times, eels are scary breathers), I wanted to laugh and wished everyone could see what I was seeing, especially my momma who loves the fishes. It's a whole other world that is so beautiful, it's simply indescribable. Pictures don't do it justice. I saw octopus, eel, lobster, sea snake, barracuda, clown fish, starfish, and so many other things. Am having problems posting the underwater pictures, so I hopefully will sort that out soon.

In the meanwhile, here are the pics from the rest of my trip. I traveled with my Canadian friend Jayne and despite typhoon we had a great time scuba-ing and even met up with another teacher in Japan. If I figure out how to download video, I'll show you a bit more. I really want to go back and go diving again and see more of the island I didn't get a chance to see. I wish you all could've been there.


Fukushuen Gardens, Naha

Rarrr...

Pictures at Shuri-jo
Shuri-jo, Okinawa

Kokusai-Dori, Naha
I'm convinced part of Karate Kid II was filmed here.
I looked for the scene, but didn't find it.
Next time...



My friend Jayne and me. Me in the typhoon.



Progression of the typhoon from the day we

arrived until the day we left.

We dove in between the second and third pic.


4 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM , Blogger gus said...

    Great pictures Sarah. I'm so glad you have finally been able to both visit Okinawa and share in the wonder of scuba diving. What a way to spend a vacation huh?! I look forward to checking out some of your underwater pictures. Did you get one of Nemo? Cute little buggers arent they?!

     
  • At 11:39 PM , Blogger sarah said...

    Nemo's a facker. The time I didn't take my camera he was everywhere and when I did I found only one or two, but it was beyond 10 meters so the pictures didn't take. I saw so many cool fish but got too excited and ended up with a bunch of rock pictures. Eh well, they're etched in my memory.

     
  • At 5:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there. It sounds like you had a fun trip, and I'm always glad when people get to experience the underwater world around Okinawa. I'm a teacher and dive instructor here, and have lived in Okinawa for 2 years. I have to say, it's one of the best diving spots in the whole of Asia. Good for you for diving here!

    Hope to maybe see you underwater sometime!

     
  • At 5:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It'd be even better if I could spell my name correctly as Dave!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home