Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Men are tards and I am a tard magnet

*Sigh* What else do I have to say? I seem to be going out with men recently who have very similar dating habits which I find quite alarming. No, I don't think that men having the same dating habits is freakish, what I find alarming is their actual dating habits and the similarities between them. Apparently I'm a frightening gal who deems the supervision of a chaperone. It's insane. Or maybe that's normal now? Have I fallen into a coma recently and fallen into victorian times by mistake? Is this some sort of strange 'The Village' experiment? Maybe I should be challenging my dates to a foot race or something. If I have I'd rather know.

Although I know that girls often use the tactic of inviting a friend along to feel "safe" on their first dates, I didn't know guys over the age of 13 (who have to driven by their mommies) implored this tactic unless the girl they are going on a date with insists on bringing a friend.
As this has not just happened to me once recently, I can tell you it's not exactly ideal for a date. Especially in the last case where the friend my date invited got violent diarreah from an undercooked hamburger and was in the bathroom for nearly 30 minutes when we tried to leave the restaurant. Maybe it was a clever rouse to get out of the date early, but I doubt that a friend would stay in the bathroom so long and then going pale and sick looking just to get his friend out of a date. Maybe I'm naive. None the less it was entertaining.

Another guy told me he didn't know what to do with me on a date. (?!?) He said his image of dating a foreign person was similar to that of being in an Italian movie. I said, what do you mean? Like holding hands and skipping down the road or something? He said no, not skipping, maybe just walking with coffee...
My image of dating in Italy
Alas, I don't know if I'll be going on a date anytime soon. I think my dating career is heading more towards cats-ville, but at least that's more interesting. Wish me luck either way.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

    Poooooor Sarah. That is a dilemma indeed. How many times has this happened?? I've never heard of GUYS bringing safe friends before. That's quite odd. Maybe a Japanese thing? Have you asked around about this stuff happening with other women? Or perhaps you're right and you're so terrifying they feel the need for masculine comfort/back-up/body guard. I don't personally get that vibe from your photos, but then again I'm not a Japanese man.
    We are talking about Japanese men, right? Or is this just a men in general thing??
    Quite puzzling.
    Good luck!!

     
  • At 12:47 AM , Blogger sarah said...

    Not just Japanese shockingly. I'm thinking it's just a men living in Japan thing. Eh well...

     
  • At 6:53 PM , Blogger karen said...

    I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. The bit about the guy in the bathroom... possibly the best 'worst date story I have ever heard. I do feel bad for you though. Don't give up on all men, maybe just don't go to a dodgy hamburger joint next time?

     
  • At 9:01 PM , Blogger sarah said...

    Hard Rock? It was funny because his friend was cursing Hard Rock in Spanish, calling them a f*cking overglorified Mc Donald's. They have good drinks tho'. I'm sure I've got worse date stories and many left to come. If anything it's entertainment- cruel entertainment, but entertainment none the less. It was such a funny situation that I laughed during the date and they'd ask why and I said, oh, I must be drunk, hee-hee.

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Blogger sarah said...

    That's what my theory is, but I'm thinking about changing it to something that makes me feel better like, bad dates are still better than Japanese TV or something like that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home