Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Definitions

While teaching a first grade class a Valentine's day lesson, I got some unexpected replies. (Mind you that first graders are 6 or 7 years old.) While showing this card

I asked what they thought was going on in the card. (My intended meaning was "LOVE") I got these answers, in Japanese:


One mouse likes the other one!
That mouse owes the other one money!
He's giving her a present!
They're hungry!

After explaining, that it was supposed to represent "love," I asked what they thought the meaning of "love" to be:


Couples!

Rabu-rabu! (translated as reciprocated love)

SEX! (with gestures)

Babies!

Sometimes it's hard to maintain a straight face...

2 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM , Blogger karen said...

    Was Yuuki in this class? I bet her answer would have been 'chocolate'

     
  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger sarah said...

    Ha, ha, yea, she was in the next one. And ironically was very quiet until we got to the chocolate card.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home