Starting over with everything..

I lived and worked in Japan for a long time and have come back in a time of economic and ever present family drama to try and gain a foothold in my so-called home country. Armed with nothing but dog fur, a crappy car, a laptop that hates me, I try to see how far I can get.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

In a land where I am Santa..

I've been teaching Christmas at my elementary school this week. I get asked questions like have I ever seen Santa and does he really live in America like their older brother said, etc... But that's not exactly talking about when I say that I am Santa. All my students have gone into hug overdrive since last week. Girls and boys seem to think that's the appropriate greeting for me now as I pass down the hall. I've decorated the AV room with Christmas decorations the kids made. I'll take a picture next week. This week, I'm being told secrets galore. I have a feeling it's because of the Christmasy environment that I made and the fact I know Santa personally. Kind of like why you tell priests what you did wrong, so they can pass the word onto the head honcho. I got told by a first grader today when all his friends left that he was gonna get to go to Huis Ten Bosch, a bavarian type theme park near my place made too look like Bavaria or Holland or some place European. As you can tell I haven't been there. But interestingly the story didn't stop there, the reason he was able to go was because his dad was getting a 1,000 dollar bonus and because of that he could go to there and was getting a Nintendo DS. I love it when little kids tell you too much information. A girl today told me she got to see Santa in the Philippines. When I asked why she was in the Philippines she said it was when she was small (she's in the 5th grade) and because she was half Filipino (said in a whisper). I told her that was really cool, (half kids aren't cool unless you're half something from an English speaking country) and that my auntie and sister-in-law was Filipino. Man, you should have seen the smile on her face, she said, yea I think it is too and ran away. I dunno, it just all makes me feel like Santa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home